sometimes i recognize the fact that if my best friend and i were fictional characters people would ship us
1. Always carry $5 and a lighter with you (even if you don’t smoke).
2. Ask every person you meet how their day is going. Genuinely ask with the soul intention of learning how their day is. Ask the coffee shop employee. Ask the person next to you in line at Walmart. Ask your distant friend. Ask everyone.
3. Take many photos of yourself. Take photos of yourself when you’re happy. Take photos of yourself when you’re sad. Take photos of yourself because there are millions of trees in the world, and we all look at the same sky, but there is only one of you.
4. Stay in contact with your parents. Try not to hate them. They are the reason you have the ability to feel anything at all. Try not to hate your parents.
5. Opening your skin will not set your demons free. Open your heart. Open your mind. Open your hands.
6. Nobody knows anybody completely. That’s okay.
7. Be gentle, but be aggressive. Take a stand. Nobody hears your voice if you stay silent.
8. Respect everybody. We are all humans trying to survive. We all deserve respect.
9. Wearing black will ALWAYS make you feel better about yourself.
10. Always give tips, whether it be a couple extra dollars or a piece of mind. You never know how much you could be helping someone.
11. Change is the only thing consistent in life. Do not allow that bother you. Embrace chance and move with life, whichever direction it chooses to take you.
12. Smile often. Smile at strangers. Smile at your friends. Smile when nobody is looking and you’re alone in your bedroom. Smile when somebody is rambling to you.
13. Body image means nothing. Your body is merely just a seatbelt in the car. Your body is here to protect you. You choose the direction you go, and your body will not hold you back. Only you can hold yourself back.
14. Don’t hold grudges. Don’t allow yourself to hate anybody. Forgive them. Learn to love them for the person you never got to see them to be. Believe that a beautiful human exists in that person. Wish them well.
15. Drink orange juice. Lots of it.
16. Don’t allow the opinions of others to choose your destiny. We are all simply trying to live our own life.
17. Sing all the time. Sing off key. Sing in a silly voice. Sing like you’re on stage. Sing no matter who is around. Singing is breathing for the soul. Sing.
18. Take time to think. Write your feelings down. Write letters to the people you love. Texting is overrated and not as heartfelt as a nice handwritten letter.
19. Live for yourself. Breathe for yourself. Do everything in your life for nobody but you. This is your life. This is it."
I often look around my classrooms and think “well SOMEONE has to be gay in here, statistically!”
Then I realize that it’s me.
REASONS WHY GIRLS SHOULDN’T HAVE SHORT HAIR: THEY WILL BE SO CUTE THAT YOUR INSIDES WILL EXPLODE AND YOUR EYES WILL MELT OUT OF YOUR SKULL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO CUTE. THEY WILL KILL YOU. GIRLS WITH SHORT HAIR WILL KILL YOU WITH THEIR CUTENESS
“Write what you know” they said,
Well, I may not know much but I know that old books smell better than new ones.
I know that even when my knees shake and my voice cracks, I will say what I feel must be said
I know that even when I feel small, there’s a part of me that will always belong to the stars
When my ribcage feels as if it just as well collapse upon itself, there’s room for a flower to grow, if only I could find the right one
I know that while stories may take me away from where I’m meant to be they make the detour worth the while
I know that your heart can feel shriveled up like a raisin and it will mean that you are alive
I know the sound of your heart pumping blood through your veins may terrify you because of the possibility
But it is the possibility that you must embrace; no matter how often your knees shake, how frequently your voice cracks, how many times you blot the tears from touching your lashes, how often you think “I can’t”
It is the possibility that makes this all worthwhile
And that, is what I know"